Frequently asked questions about our consultations…
What can I expect during the consultation?
The holistic dermatology consultation determines what is unique about you. What inner imbalances led to lesions expressing on your skin? What other symptoms do you have? What kind of work do you do? What is your emotional state and how do you respond to stress?
Our herbalist, Antonia Balfour, also looks closely at your skin and takes photos in order to inspect details, record the status of the skin and assess progress. She will feel your pulse and look at your tongue as both give important information about your constitution in Chinese medicine. Once she identifies the areas of imbalance, she puts together custom herbal formulas and recommends the best topical treatment (which may come in the form of an herb wash, cream, ointment, masque or gel). She also recommends beneficial foods as well as foods to avoid.
How long will it take to heal my skin?
Treatment times vary depending on the severity of the condition, the length of time it’s been active, and the age and overall health of the patient. Some conditions clear up in as quickly as a week. Severe, long-term conditions may take four months to six months or even more to fully resolve.
How often will I come in for a consultation?
Herbal formulas need to be changed as the condition evolves. Sometimes only one consultation is necessary and, after one batch of herbs, the skin is healed. Severe cases take longer to resolve, with ongoing changes to the herbs prescribed. As an example, a patient with a severe case of psoriasis may come in for the initial consultation, then two to three weeks later return for a follow up and new herbs. After that there will ongoing consultations every 3 weeks – with new herbs given each time. Topical treatment with ointments and creams may also change over time.
I don’t live near Los Angeles. Can you still help me?
Send us an e-mail and we’ll work out the best way to help you. We do provide long-distance consultations. The patient supplies high quality photos of the skin taken with good lighting and detail, and the consultation itself is conducted via FaceTime, Skype or by phone. Still, it’s always best to be seen by an herbalist in person whenever possible. We know of a few dermatology specialists around the country as well as in Canada, Europe and Australia.
How are herbs administered?
- Internal herbs in the form of vacuum sealed packets that are pre-cooked and simply need to be warmed up (*most common)
- Powdered granules which are generally only given in mild cases or when patients are traveling.
- Glycerine-based tinctures ~ given to babies and children (although babies are generally treated with topical herb washes and only require tinctures in severe cases)
How much will it cost?
- Consultation Fees: Initial – $140; Follow-ups – $82.
- Internal Herbs – cost can vary greatly. Dermatology requires strong dosages of herbs, and we are dedicated to finding the highest-grade herbs which undergo strenuous testing for quality. Premium herbal blends can cost from $10 to $15/day. Powdered herbs cost less, but we only recommend them in cases where they can truly be effective (which is not often). We’re happy to discuss all options with you to find the most affordable path to complete healing. But our practice focuses on results. More information on various methods of taking internal herbs can be found here.
- Patient prices for our topical products (creams, salves, toners, serums, etc) generally range from $24 – $34.
Herbal therapy is given for a limited amount of time. Once the skin has healed and the body has stabilized, treatment is complete.
Will I need acupuncture?
Generally Chinese herbs are the mainstay of treatment and acupuncture is not necessary. But in a condition where there is pain (like shingles, for example) acupuncture is highly recommended. Some patients choose to have regular acupuncture alongside herbal therapy for the overall health and relaxation benefits.
When are organic facials recommended?
Organic facials are a great complement to herbal therapy for conditions such as acne and rosacea.
When are Consultations available?
Mon, Wed, Fri from 10:00am – 4:00pm Pacific Time
Sat from 10:00am – 2:00pm Pacific Time
What should I do next?
You may schedule your Yin Yang Dermatology appointment using our online booking feature. Select the service you wish to book, then choose an available date from the calendar shown and select your desired time. We will confirm your booking by email.
If you have questions about how holistic medicine can help your skin condition, our herbalist Antonia Balfour will be happy to answer them for you.